Our talented College Stage Band, Senior Combo, Big Band and Chamber musicians completed their first outing this year, performing two Fridays in a row at the Uxbridge lunchtime concert. Many of our parents and their friends attended, with a good number of audiences from the local retirement villages.
The Fridays at Twelve lunchtime series provides a platform for our small ensemble musicians to refine their competitive repertoire in preparation for the Chamber Contest district round which begins this weekend, followed by the Tauranga Jazz Festival in June and then the KBB competition in August.
For our jazz musicians, close to 60 hours have been spent on rehearsals and workshops this year, and for our chamber musicians, twice as much to get through the more challenging repertoire. For some of our students, their performance at Uxbridge theatre was their first performance experience while many other seasoned College musicians has been participating in these competitions for the last three to four years.
The line-up for the Uxbridge lunchtime concert were:
Friday 20 May
- Senior Combo
- Stage Band
- Big Band
Directed by Mr Albert Lee
Friday 27 May
- Junior Piano Trio – Harold Wang, Violin; Waner Xu, Cello; Leo Zhou, Piano. Playing Miniatures by Frank Bridge
- Elliot Trio – Elisa Wu, Flute; Brendon Tsoi, Cello; Alex Bian, Piano. Playing Trio in G minor for Flute, Cello and Piano by Weber
- Trio Chicago – Alex Martin, Clarinet; Eva Wu, Cello; Charles Sang, Piano. Playing Fantasy for Clarinet, Cello and Piano, Op.26 by Muczynski
- Syrinx- Jackson McCarthy, Flute; Archie Lamont Bowden, Violin; Edison Zhou, Piano. Playing Medailles antiques
- Charles Sang closed the show with a piece from Chopin’s Ballade.
With Covid continuing to spread in the community, some of our musicians were unfortunately affected, and we had to quickly train up our Big Band trumpets to play for the Stage Band when these students went into isolation.
We wish our musicians all the best for the upcoming competitions.
Show them your support and watch them perform this weekend
- Saturday 4 June, 7-9pm, St Heliers Church
- Sunday 5 June, 5-6.30pm, Whittakers Music Museum, Waiheke Island https://musicalmuseum.org/event/saint-kentigern-college-chamber-musicians/